printing companies run by Indians in Middle East Asia or for that matter by anyone outside their homeland. His persistence and commitment to succeed has enabled him to bounce back to success from extremely adverse circumstances. With over two decades of relentless effort and dedication, he created his label brand “Xel-lent”. He achieved perfection by creating labels and print packaging products that would stand out in the market place. During my visit to his facility, I was overwhelmed by the way he accorded a welcome (which I gathered is a customary practice whenever any of the company’s stakeholders or important guests visited); All the TV monitors in the company (there were quite a few), had a welcome message for me apart from announcing various awards received by them. Chairman Kiran Asher has been honoured by the President of India at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (A day for Indians living abroad) at Jaipur in January 2012. Carrying the hospitality further, my picture (commemorating my visit) was taken and gifted to me in an elegant folder along with customized gifts. He has experienced success and rejoices the fruits of bringing excellence to “Xel-lent” and also to all the businesses and operations at Kimoha.
|The very first telex roll machine|
and start something else there. That was 40 years ago and he never returned to settle down in India. Vinesh had joined Khimji Ramdas as a trainee and left at the post of a General Manager in 1988. From Oman he came to Dubai and with the experience gained in Oman he, with his brother in law Kiran Asher, started a trading company. They made their first deal of importing Turmeric from Hyderabad, India and exporting to an Iranian customer against a post dated cheque. The cheque bounced and they lost most of the money invested! Whatever stock of turmeric was left with them was brought by them and stored in a Jebel Ali warehouse. As luck would have it, that night, a water pipe in the shed burst and they lost all that remained. Vinesh Bhimani was a devastated and embarrassed man. He blamed himself for his brother in law and partner Kiran having lost money. He offered to sell his house in Mumbai to repay Kiran. Perhaps God had other plans for Vinesh. Kiran asked him to stay on and wait to let things settle down, they decided to stay together. It was now time to start “Kimoha”. Briefly they started packing food items but soon shifted to manufacturing telex and fax rolls. It was a humble beginning with a machine made by his uncle in Nizamabad. Nostalgically Vinesh reminiscences that they participated in an exhibition and Sheikh Mohamed, the current ruler of Dubai, visited their stand and asked them if they manufactured these rolls in Dubai. He then advised a big stationer accompanying him to buy from them. For many years this stationer remained one of Kimoha’s biggest customers. Business began to grow with exports to many countries and Vinesh started to travel extensively. During his travels he would be fascinated by the baggage tags, each time he would check in at the airlines counter. He would study the tag at length and vowed to produce it one day. He went to Japan to visit suppliers of thermal paper as also to learn about the product. It was a matter of time now, his mind was made, “he would manufacture the baggage tags and self adhesive labels”.
|Mike Fairley and Vinesh Bhimani|
- They were in 38th rank in the overall top 100 SME companies in Dubai
- 3rd in the top 10 SME in the INNOVATION category
- 10th in the top 10 SME in the GLOBAL ORIENTATION (EXPORT)
- 6th in human capital development
- They were in 27th overall rank
- 5th in innovation
- 4th in human capital development
- 15th in growth performance
- 26th in international orientation
- 34th in corporate governance
- CSR Label from Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry (3 consecutive years)
- Leed Gold Certification from United States Green Building Council for Kimoha’s new state of the art office-cum-factory-cum-warehouse building.
- Many international awards for printing excellence from FINAT, FTA (FlexographicTechnical Association, USA) etc.
- They are an ISO 9001 - 2008 certified company
- 24 / 7 Air Conditioned Factory and Warehouse
- In-house Flexo and Digital Pre-press Facility – CTP
- Laser labels produced from recycled label stock and packed in recyclable boxes when demanded so by buyers.
- Converting photopolymer plates from 1.7mm to 1.14mm, thus reducing Carbon footprint by 17%
- Ensuring that the new Premises meets the rigid green standards set by USGBA and EHS, viz. among other things, Over 900 tons Air Conditioning with aid of 410 A Refrigerant. Minimal CFC emissions
- Occupation and Movement sensors
- Recycling 95% of plate-making solvent
- Installation of LED light in office and factory
- Ongoing project to install solar to run factory and office using 100% solar energy